Website Cal Poly Humboldt
Night Custodial Supervisor
Facilities Management – Custodial Services
Job #533316First Review Date: Wednesday, December 6, 2023
Close Date: Tuesday, December 19, 2023
At Cal Poly Humboldt, bold hearts and open minds shape the future.
Founded in 1913, Cal Poly Humboldt began as a small college for teachers. Today Humboldt has grown into a comprehensive university with rigorous science and liberal arts programs. Designated a polytechnic in 2022, Cal Poly Humboldt provides hands-on, impactful educational opportunities that lead to meaningful, measurable outcomes for the individual, for the state, and the world.
Cal Poly Humboldt is proud to have nearly 6,000 students of all backgrounds spread across 61 majors, 13 graduate programs, and 4 credential programs — all of whom contribute passion and creativity within their fields and set the stage for a future grounded in equity and sustainability. Hands-on learning, inspired teaching, ground-breaking research, and thought-provoking creative activity happen daily at Humboldt.
Cal Poly Humboldt is a Hispanic-Serving Institution that strives to foster an inclusive and equitable community to support our students of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality committed to working in a multicultural and multiracial community that reflects the diversity of the state.
Finding a better future is a task for the bold and open, the down-to-earth and visionary. Cal Poly Humboldt strives to cultivate these qualities in leaders, innovators, and scholars in every field.
(Job #533316) Administrator I, Night Custodial Supervisor, Salary Range: $ 3,750 – $11,146 monthly. Hiring Range: $3,750 – $5,000 monthly. Appointments are typically made at the beginning of the salary range. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. This is a full-time, benefited, exempt, 12-month pay plan, permanent position with a one-year probationary period in the Facilities Management Custodial Department. This position is an Administrator _ in the California State University Management Personnel Plan (MPP). Under this plan, incumbents are subject to normal management reviews and serve at the pleasure of the University President. Additional information can be found at: http://www.calstate.edu/HRAdm/policies/mpp.shtml. This position comes with a premium benefits package that includes outstanding vacation, medical, dental, and vision plans, life insurance, voluntary pre-tax health and dependent care reimbursement accounts, a fee waiver education program, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and 14 paid holidays per year. Additional benefits information can be found at https://hraps.humboldt.edu/employee-benefits.
Reporting to the Custodial Services Manager, the Night Custodial Supervisor is responsible for providing direct supervision, management and leadership for night shift employees assigned to Custodial Services within the Facilities Management Department. The Night Custodial Supervisor is also responsible for assisting with the development of comprehensive custodial services plans, procedures, and training programs as it relates to the Night Staff. The position ensures that training plans and procedures are in alignment with policies and regulatory requirements as well as the University’s mission, values and adopted Departmental and Unit goals. In addition, the Night Custodial Supervisor serves as a campus liaison as related to the area of assignment.
Provides Leadership, Supervision and Management of the Night shift Custodial Services Unit within Facilities Management
· Assists the Custodial Services Manager in the recruitment process including development of recommendations for hire.
· Perform personnel evaluations for those staff that direct report to the Night Custodial Supervisor.
· Develops and communicates work schedules including the provision of coverage as required for special events or programs as offered by the University outside of regular custodial work shifts. Provides input as required for special event resource requirements.
· Assists the Custodial Services Manager in the development of building and area special custodial care plans based on campus priorities and service levels. Upon adoption, provides training to staff in such plans and then leads efforts to further prioritize, plan and schedule work efforts as required to meet the intent of adopted plans.
· Provides leadership to and supervision of Lead Custodians and Custodians as required to ensure successful delivery of custodial services to the campus on the night shift.
· Utilizes online integrated work management system (FacilitiesLink) to assign, track, prioritize, plan, schedule and manage deployment of resources required to implement services.
· Ensures custodial staff have access to supplies as required to efficiently implement custodial plans.
· Prepares reports as requested.
Area and Base Inspections, Including Required Employee Follow-ups
· Inspects all services areas routinely for compliance with custodial service plans; takes corrective action as required to ensure services meet plan intent.
· Document inspections for future reference.
· Work with employee to provide necessary feedback and remediation where appropriate.
Provides Leadership Required to Improve Custodial Services
· Assists in the development of and implements customer service and efficiency initiatives and policies as well as other tasks required to manage services in a cost effective, customer-oriented manner.
· Assists in the development of and implements training for all personnel within Custodial Services including University procedures, service plans and safety.
· Assists in the selection of supplies and equipment as related to the Custodial Services Unit.
· May perform any necessary functions in the event of an emergency (i.e., earthquake, flood, fire, etc.,) that can be safely performed.
Other Duties as Assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Associated with this Position Include:
· Demonstrated knowledge of custodial care practices, terminology, and standards, and the management/supervision of personnel in this field
· Well-developed analytical and planning skills including experience prioritizing and scheduling the use of resources.
· Demonstrated knowledge of industry standards and benchmarks as related to the duties as assigned.
· Knowledge of federal, state, and local laws and regulations related to the duties assigned.
· Demonstrated knowledge of custodial equipment, tools and chemicals including those required to achieve custodial care plans.
· Knowledge and understanding of the safe use, storage and transport of cleaning chemicals. Ability to understand the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labeling of Chemicals and interpret Safety Data Sheets as appropriate.
· Demonstrated ability to plan and implement training sessions in the care and operation of custodial equipment and proper use of cleaning materials and supplies as well as safe operating practices.
· Well-developed interpersonal and verbal communication, technical writing, public speaking and negotiating skills.
· Demonstrated skills using online (web-based) software (i.e. google suite, online time/work tracking software, etc.) to gather and tabulate data in a manner resulting in the type of reports required to prioritize, schedule, and manage resources (labor and materials).
· Proven skills in leadership, team building and fostering cooperation.
· Record of success in the area of custodial services management.
· Ability to reason logically, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
· Excellent attention to detail including content and format.
· Ability to communicate and work effectively with a diverse group of individuals and organizations directly and indirectly involved with projects and/or assignments. Position requires active problem solving and effective interpersonal skills.
· Ability to recognize and accommodate changing priorities; meet short and long term deadlines/goals; and complete routine tasks despite intermittent interruptions. This includes managing multiple tasks and working proactively to avoid crisis and backlog.
· Ability to initiate, establish, and foster teamwork by maintaining a positive, cooperative, productive work atmosphere while establishing effective working relationships.
· Ability to operationalize sustainability concepts (economy, society, environment) into all aspects of performing job duties.
· Three years work experience in a custodial services setting completing similar duties as described two years of which include a lead or supervisory assignment.
· Proven experience in custodial services management.
· Possession of a valid California driver’s license for the operation of any vehicle or equipment required in the performance of duties.
· Bachelor’s degree.
· Two years of work experience in a University setting, one year of which included a supervisory assignment.
· Proven experience in institutional or commercial custodial services management, and/or other managerial experience.
· Demonstrated knowledge of custodial care practices and standards for an institutional or commercial environment.
Application Procedure: To apply, qualified candidates must electronically submit the following materials by clicking the Apply Now button:
- Letter of Interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for at least three professional references
Application Deadline: Application materials review will begin on Wednesday, December 7, 2023. The deadline to submit application materials is 11:55 p.m. on Tuesday, December 19, 2023.
Any inquiries about this recruitment can be directed to email@example.com or Cal Poly Humboldt’s Human Resources Office at (707) 826-3626.
We acknowledge that Cal Poly Humboldt is located on the unceded lands of the Wiyot people, where they have resided from time immemorial. We encourage all to gain a deeper understanding of their history and thriving culture. As an expression of our gratitude we are genuinely committed to developing trusting, reciprocal, and long lasting partnerships with the Wiyot people as well as all of our neighboring tribes. Cal Poly Humboldt was the first campus in the California State University system to offer a stand-alone major in Native American Studies.
Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
Working in the state of California is a condition of employment for this position. Even if part or all of an employee’s assignment can be performed remotely, the employee must maintain a permanent residence in the state of California. The employee must be able to accept on-campus work assignment, as assigned, and come to campus when needed.
CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measure established by each campus. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy and any questions you have may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cal Poly Humboldt hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. This position may be considered a “Campus Security Authority”, pursuant to the Clery Act, and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1107 a condition of employment.
CAL POLY HUMBOLDT IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
Evidence of required degree(s), certification(s), or license(s) is required prior to the appointment date. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check, employment verification, and education verification) is required for employment. Cal Poly Humboldt will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or if it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Certain positions may also require a credit check, motor vehicle report, and/or fingerprinting through Live Scan service. Failure to satisfactorily complete or adverse findings from a background check may affect the employment status of candidates or continued employment of current CSU employees who are being considered for the position.
Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state. Additional information about Cal Poly Humboldt can be found at http://www.humboldt.edu.
Cal Poly Humboldt is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Mandated Reporting: This position may be considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Additionally, all CSU staff and faculty receive training annually on their obligations in responding to and reporting incidents of sexual harassment and sexual violence. You will be notified by email when you are required to take this mandated training.
Class Code: 3318
Publication Date: November 7, 2023
To apply for this job please visit hraps.humboldt.edu.