Website Cal Poly Humboldt
Technical Support Specialist
Information Technology Services
Close Date: Sunday, November 19, 2023
At Cal Poly Humboldt, bold hearts and open minds shape the future.
Founded in 1913, Cal Poly Humboldt began as a small college for teachers. Today Humboldt has grown into a comprehensive university with rigorous science and liberal arts programs. Designated a polytechnic in 2022, Cal Poly Humboldt provides hands-on, impactful educational opportunities that lead to meaningful, measurable outcomes for the individual, for the state, and the world.
Cal Poly Humboldt is proud to have nearly 6,000 students of all backgrounds spread across 61 majors, 13 graduate programs, and 4 credential programs — all of whom contribute passion and creativity within their fields and set the stage for a future grounded in equity and sustainability. Hands-on learning, inspired teaching, ground-breaking research, and thought-provoking creative activity happen daily at Humboldt.
Cal Poly Humboldt is a Hispanic-Serving Institution that strives to foster an inclusive and equitable community to support our students of diverse backgrounds. We are committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality committed to working in a multicultural and multiracial community that reflects the diversity of the state.
Finding a better future is a task for the bold and open, the down-to-earth and visionary. Cal Poly Humboldt strives to cultivate these qualities in leaders, innovators, and scholars in every field.
(Job #528082) Information Technology Consultant, Technical Support Specialist, Salary Range: $3,713 – $7,149 monthly. Hiring Range: $3,713 – $5,000 monthly. This is a full-time, benefited, non-exempt, 12-month pay plan permanent position with a one-year probationary period in Information Technology Services. This position comes with a premium benefits package that includes outstanding vacation, medical, dental, and vision plans, life insurance, voluntary pre-tax health and dependent care reimbursement accounts, a fee waiver education program, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and 14 paid holidays per year. Additional benefits information can be found at https://hraps.humboldt.edu/employee-benefits.
This is a technical support specialist position within the Customer Care Team of Information Technology Services (ITS); reporting to the Director of Customer Care. The Technical Support Specialist provides advanced skills in helping faculty, staff, and students to obtain optimal, efficient, and secure use of computers and information systems.
We are seeking a strong, positive, professional, and empathetic candidate with both strong technical skills as well as the communication skills necessary to successfully assist students, faculty, and staff in multiple technical areas. A high degree of customer service and professionalism should be present in every interaction with a strong focus on Cal Poly Humboldt’s commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
Support computing equipment, software, and other technology in offices, labs, and classrooms
Work closely with faculty, staff, and students to assist them in effective use of technology in meeting their educational and business needs, providing desktop, software, and hardware technology support.
Image and deploy computers to labs, classrooms, and offices
Install, configure, and support software and hardware for desktop and laptop computers and related devices, while maintaining good inventory records
Troubleshoot problems via phone, email, remote control software, and on-site visits to give exceptional customer support
Perform diverse and wide-ranging tasks such as software and hardware diagnostics, printer installation and configuration, upgrades
Perform diverse and wide-ranging tasks including software and hardware diagnostics, configuring email clients, printing, backup, upgrades
Utilize the basic functions of Jamf to manage Macintosh systems
Perform basic management of Windows computers with MECM
Assist with the troubleshooting classroom and lab technology including hyflex (Zoom, cameras, microphones, etc.), projectors, TVs, AV equipment, speakers, document cameras and other equipment
Install, configure, and support computer software, mobile device applications, cloud services, and other digital tools in labs and offices.
Perform other diverse and wide-ranging tasks, at a Foundation level, including, but not limited to, printer deployment, customer data backup and retention, and research technology support.
Collaborate with other ITS staff:
Collaborate in a courteous, flexible and open manner with other ITS staff and campus users through frequent team contact and mutual support, excellent communication and responsiveness
Provide input and feedback in order to improve service, including collaborating with other ITS staff to create documentation for ITS services
Research and implement productive solutions to new functional requirements and/or resource constraints across the Cal Poly Humboldt campus
Participate in team planning sessions
Other Duties as Assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Associated with this Position Include:
Foundational knowledge and skills for the Information Technology Consultant includes working knowledge of common software application packages, equipment platforms, reference database systems and sources, and training methods and a basic understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
Core skills include:
- Excellent interpersonal skills with a customer service orientation and ability to work with a positive attitude as a flexible, collaborative, and supportive team member, while excelling in a fast-paced service environment
- Intellectual flexibility, technical curiosity, and the ability to learn independently
- Knowledge of applying diagnostics techniques for problem solving and troubleshooting; systematic troubleshooting paradigm
- Experience installing and configuring Windows/Macintosh systems, and applications in a managed, networked computing environment
- Experience with monitoring and remediating endpoint device vulnerabilities
- Experience with security and registry configuration changes
- Experience with installing, configuring, and supporting mobile computing solutions on various platforms
- Knowledge of multiple software application packages such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access), Adobe Acrobat, Antivirus, and GSuite for Education
- Working Knowledge of current Apple Operating Systems
- Working Knowledge of current Microsoft Operating Systems
- Ability to produce quality technical documentation
- Ability to gracefully adjust to frequent change
- Organized and detail oriented with the ability to manage and organize multiple tasks
- Ability to function cooperatively and productively as a member of a team
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple responsibilities, and follow through on tasks independently and effectively
- Ability to determine when collaboration is needed with other ITS teams to solve a task
- Excellent systems troubleshooting skills
A basic understanding of network fundamentals including protocols, DHCP, DNS, etc.
- Ability to explain technical details to others in non-technical language
- Demonstrated cultural humility, sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with a diverse population of faculty, staff, students, and others.
- A basic foundation of knowledge and skills in technical information systems and application program packages is a prerequisite. This foundation would normally be obtained through a bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems, educational technology, communications, or related fields, or similar certified coursework in applicable fields of study, or through experience.
- Equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree AND at least one (1) year full time related professional experience is preferred, but not required, for this ITC-Foundation position. Additional relevant experience can be substituted for equivalent education on a year for year basis.
- A well developed understanding of networks, data communication, and multimedia systems.
- Knowledge, special skills and abilities
- Working knowledge of Active Directory environment
Knowledge of configuring and troubleshooting networks
- Working knowledge of Group Policy
Working knowledge of Print Management
Knowledge of printer deployment process on Windows
Knowledge of printer deployment process on macOS
Working knowledge of Microsoft Endpoint Management Configuration Manager (MECM) and Jamf
Knowledge of classroom technology, hyflex, (zoom, cameras and microphones).
Experience with a ticketing system.
Application Procedure: To apply, qualified candidates must electronically submit the following materials by clicking the Apply Now button:
- Letter of Interest
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Contact information for at least three professional references
Application Deadline: The deadline to submit application materials is 11:55 p.m. on Sunday, November 19, 2023.
Any inquiries about this recruitment can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org or Cal Poly Humboldt’s Human Resources Office at (707) 826-3626.
We acknowledge that Cal Poly Humboldt is located on the unceded lands of the Wiyot people, where they have resided from time immemorial. We encourage all to gain a deeper understanding of their history and thriving culture. As an expression of our gratitude we are genuinely committed to developing trusting, reciprocal, and long lasting partnerships with the Wiyot people as well as all of our neighboring tribes. Cal Poly Humboldt was the first campus in the California State University system to offer a stand-alone major in Native American Studies.
Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to enriching its educational environment and its culture through the diversity of its staff, faculty, and administration. Persons with interest and experience in helping organizations set and achieve goals relative to diversity and inclusion are especially encouraged to apply.
Working in the state of California is a condition of employment for this position. Even if part or all of an employee’s assignment can be performed remotely, the employee must maintain a permanent residence in the state of California. The employee must be able to accept on-campus work assignment, as assigned, and come to campus when needed.
CSU strongly recommends that all individuals who access any in-person program or activity (on- or off-campus) operated or controlled by the University follow COVID-19 vaccine recommendations adopted by the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) applicable to their age, medical condition, and other relevant indications and comply with other safety measure established by each campus. The systemwide policy can be found at CSU Vaccination Policy and any questions you have may be submitted to email@example.com.
Cal Poly Humboldt hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. This position may be considered a “Campus Security Authority”, pursuant to the Clery Act, and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1107 a condition of employment.
CAL POLY HUMBOLDT IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
Evidence of required degree(s), certification(s), or license(s) is required prior to the appointment date. Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check, employment verification, and education verification) is required for employment. Cal Poly Humboldt will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or if it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Certain positions may also require a credit check, motor vehicle report, and/or fingerprinting through Live Scan service. Failure to satisfactorily complete or adverse findings from a background check may affect the employment status of candidates or continued employment of current CSU employees who are being considered for the position.
Cal Poly Humboldt is committed to achieving the goals of equal opportunity and endeavors to employ faculty and staff of the highest quality reflecting the ethnic and cultural diversity of the state. Additional information about Cal Poly Humboldt can be found at http://www.humboldt.edu.
Cal Poly Humboldt is a Title IX/Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. Mandated Reporting: This position may be considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Additionally, all CSU staff and faculty receive training annually on their obligations in responding to and reporting incidents of sexual harassment and sexual violence. You will be notified by email when you are required to take this mandated training.
Class Code: 0420
Publication Date: November 3, 2023
To apply: https://hraps.humboldt.edu/jobs
To apply for this job please visit hraps.humboldt.edu.